Great Graphic Organizer for Comparing and Contrasting

I don't normally write about graphic organizers, but I happened to be reading "Classroom Instruction that Works" by Bob Marzano that had an awesome graphic organizer called a " Comparison Matrix" (feel free to copy) which is not only is a nice change from the typical venn diagram, but helped my students compare websites for credibility and bias across a number of indicators. Here were my standards from NGSS:


  • Gather, read, and synthesize information from multiple sources appropriate and assess the credibility, accuracy, and possible bias of each publication and methods used, and describe how they are supported or not supported by evidence.
  • Data Evaluate, hypotheses, and / or conclusions in scientific and technical texts in light of competing information or accounts.




Student exemplar


Another tool which helped my students understand bias and agenda was the Chrome Web app "Easy Bib" which allows users to cite resources and instantly check on credibility and bias. In the lesson, I also used "hatnote" to show how quickly edits happen in real time and whether we can trust automated bots to update the right information. A very powerful lesson-feel free to steal!

p.s. I'm loving the new Google Slides themes!

Related Posts
Graphic Organizers for Visible Thinking

Comments

Popular Posts